The Bird School
Two birding think tank members, Judy Wink and Adele Clagett, were discussing birding on the CBEC property when the onslaught of Tri-colored herons descended on Lake Knapp…and the idea for the Bird School was hatched.
The Bird School is planned for a year round exposure to the 246 species recorded for CBEC’s site. Obviously, not all 246 species will be observed at one-time, but rather, over the four seasons. Many of the 246 species would be new life list birds for beginning through mid-skilled birders. So, the Bird School would cover all skill sets of birding. Classes will be specifically designed regarding content and field observations for all levels of birding. Announcements will specify beginners through experts.
The classes will follow a number of formats from a one-day, three hour class (once and done) through once a week for a 6-week period (the longest session.) Outside resource people will “teach”, as well as in-house staff and volunteers. Some of the classes will be field-oriented only, whereas, others may be a combination of indoor theory and outdoor observations.
The Bird School will commence in January 2022, although there may be some “sampler” classes in 2021. Check this webpage for upcoming Bird School happenings. Also, check the Birding Page (under Visit) for blogs, photos, comments on CBEC birding in general. This will be a fun-learning activity guaranteed to improve your birding skills, knowledge, and sightings to get you outdoors and into the ‘birding think tank.’ The Bird School may provide some surprises for you in the natural world.
Summer Day Camps at CBEC
Remember the good old days when kids went outside and explored? Bring those days back and register your child for CBEC’s outdoor adventures summer day camp.
We will be exploring the Bay, making friends, and enjoying the outdoors- all while learning about the environment through a “hands-on, feet-wet” approach. Campers will connect to the natural world through art, close encounters with live animals, stories, games, nature treks, and outdoor play. While this summer is bound to be different than year’s in the past, the one constant is that CBEC is committed to creating healthier communities by connecting people to nature through adventure-based learning that contributes to the conservation of the Chesapeake Bay. Explore day camps offered at CBEC!
Register online: bayrestoration.org/camps or Contact: Ashley Peris at firstname.lastname@example.org . 443-786-0378
2021 Camp Calendar is HERE!
Session 1 -June 21-25- CSI: Critter Scene Investigator Grades 3-5
CSI: Critter Scene Investigator (Grades 3-5)
- Campers will learn how to identify and analyze the tracks and traces of local wildlife to help solve a wild mystery. Think like predator and prey to understand how they pursue their food and avoid becoming someone else’s. Campers will become nature sleuths and learn what it takes to track all critters, predator and prey along the nature trails. Using scientific tools and tracking techniques we will work together to solve nature’s mysteries!
Session 2 - July 12-16- Nature Architects Grades 3-5
- Session 2 Nature Architects
- Entering grades 3-5
- Campers build forts, shelters, lean to’s and other hideouts using materials gathered from the woods! We will also build buoys, and make a mud pie! It is time to let your inner architect out. Campers will be provided materials to build nature inspired structures and use their imagination to the fullest. There will be fun challenges and team building activities.
Session 3- July 19-23 - Amazing Animal Kingdom Grades K-2
Session 3 Amazing Animal Kingdom
Entering grades K-2
- Mammals, birds and reptiles, OH MY! Campers will have fun while connecting with nature. Each day we will explore a different class of animals. Get up close and personal with live critters. Our campers will learn how to hoot like an owl and camouflage like a Katydid. At the end of the week your campers will be wildlife experts.
Session 4- August 16-20 - Nature Tykes: Wonders of Water 4-5 years old
Session 4 Nature Tykes: Wonders of Water 4-5 years old
- Our Nature Tykes will enjoy wildlife and water wonders will doing hands-on science and nature activities. Water, water everywhere and nothing but fun to be had! From Bay explorations, water games and experimenting with water, this camp for our youngest explorers will have little ones ready and raring to get wet!
Additional information for registered campers:
Online Camp Registration Access: To log back into your account for any reason such as to check or pay balance due, upload required permission or health forms, or download receipts/tax documentation, follow this link: https://campsself.active.com/chesapeakebayenvironmentalcenter.
Forms: Once you have registered, you will receive an email if there are any additional forms required for your camper.
Cancellation Policy: If cancelling more than 2 weeks of the start of a camp session, CBEC will offer full credit to be used for another camp session. If less than 2 weeks before the start of the camp session, you can receive a 50% credit.
Interested in Volunteering with Summer Camp? We are looking for energetic, responsible counselors ages 16+ to join us. High school students, college students, parents, grandparents, and community members are all welcome! More information here. College interns, please visit: http://bayrestoration.org/college-internships/.