Summer Camp Counselor Internship
The Chesapeake Bay Environmental Center is a private, non-profit located on the Eastern Shore in Grasonville, Maryland dedicated to creating the next generation of Bay stewards by providing “hands-on, feet-wet” environmental education. Our summer camps allow students to explore life around the Bay through environmental studies, science, arts, and recreation.
Our summer internship program offers great experience for college students interested in any of these fields of study: education, environmental studies, environmental science, or recreation. Interns will receive hands-on training and experience with the fundamentals of environmental education best practices, lesson plan creation, and program facilitation. Interns will facilitate programs for summer camp and visiting groups. Interns will receive training and ample practice in handling, caring for, and teaching with captive raptors. Interns will participate in weekly professional development experiences to experience other career opportunities and network in the environmental sector. By the conclusion of the summer, interns will complete an electronic portfolio showcasing their experience with environmental education. This will serve as an excellent resource when applying for jobs.
Interns will earn a stipend
Check out our summer camp page for more information on our exciting camp programs!
- 18 Years of Age
- Strong interest in teaching and environmental education
- Energetic, enthusiastic, flexible, and overall positive attitude
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with children and adults
- Available to work one week (Monday through Friday) 8am to 4 pm
- Supervise group of up to 20 campers with a team of 2-3 counselors
- Plan and lead activities
- Organize and lead nature exploration, games, and other recreation activities
- Assist and supervise campers while kayaking.
- Observe environmental education programs led by Education Coordinator and assist
- Assist with raptor care and handling
If you are interested in applying to be an intern this summer, please send a letter of recommendation to the Camp Director at Aperis@bayrestoration.org. Letters will be reviewed as they are received and selected applicants will be contacted to schedule a phone or in-person interview.