Volunteer at CBEC!
Do you love nature? Enjoy sharing your love of nature with others? Want to give back? Consider becoming a CBEC volunteer!
Each year, CBEC volunteers commit more than 10,000 hours of service towards making CBEC a wonderful place to experience nature along the Chesapeake Bay. We are always seeking volunteers who wish to assist in promoting CBEC and its mission.
Volunteer opportunities are available for people 18 years of age and older. Prospective volunteers should know that most—but not all–of our volunteer work occurs on weekdays, with only limited weekend opportunities (i.e., special events and Guided Kayak Tours).
CBEC volunteers contribute in many ways, including:
- Education – from pre-school to adult, volunteers assist staff with school and special groups that come to experience our “hands-on, feet-wet” learning opportunities.
- Visitor Center – serving as “the face of CBEC,” volunteers staff CBEC’s Visitor Center, greeting visitors, answering questions, processing sales, and facilitating kayak rentals.
- Kayaking – volunteers lead and assist with kayak programs that are part of school visits, as well as our weekend guided kayak tours and full moon paddles.
- Stewardship and citizen science programs – volunteers support the care and feeding of our captive birds of prey; handle birds at public events, and participate in citizen science programs, collecting and reporting data about wood ducks and ospreys.
- Property restoration/facility maintenance – volunteers maintain CBEC’s trails and gardens, mow lawns, maintain landscaping around our buildings, and complete various construction projects.
- PR and marketing – volunteers promote CBEC at various expos and off-site events, serve on fundraising and special event committees, and assist with communications.